Still cant play Battlefield

ScreaminAtSheep

My internet still turns off constantly every half hour or hour, making it impossible to play a full round without getting disconnected. ISP STILL refuses to admit there's a problem here. I recorded the times of 8 disconnects on paper in 1 day and they magically don't have record of any of them.

They will do that you have to get to the upper levels of tech support to get any real help.

No other ISP around. Seems I'm just going to have to shout at them to get someone smarter than I am I guess..

call tech support and don't even talk to the tier 1 agent. request to be transferred up. 9/10 times... the first person you talk to is a call center rep with less than a year experience and no formal training. they are just reading a script. ( I know because I've worked in a call center for multiple companies.) Keep going up the chain of command until you reach a supervisor or at least a tier 2. be adamant and be relentless. If you get someone who doesn't appear to know what they are doing... thank them and call again. If they see you calling multiple times, management of that call center will notice and will tell someone to fix the issue. They don't like people continuously calling over and over. You have to be that annoying mosquito unfortunately.

I was having the same issue. I had them replace the line to my house (had water in the line). I also had water in the line from the side of the house to the attic. I also had a bad connector outside that had to be replaced. I also requested a discount/refund to the shotty internet connection. Worth a try.

I worked in cable for 10 years..Kevins statement (above) is a common problem. If you have cable internet you have a bad fitting, splitter, splitter configuration or a bad line somewhere. If you don't know how to correct these issues, you will need to have a technician test the lines with his meter to test for SNR (signal to noise) and RF levels.

In my case it was a bad router. Usually it's the line.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I worked in cable for 10 years..Kevins statement (above) is a common problem. If you have cable internet you have a bad fitting, splitter, splitter configuration or a bad line somewhere. If you don't know how to correct these issues, you will need to have a technician test the lines with his meter to test for SNR (signal to noise) and RF levels.

To explain the water issue further, water can get into outside hardware if you get lots of rain or snow. The outside fittings of coax cables should be greased and properly tightened. With an overhead infrastructure (lines off the poles) water can get into the taps (fixtures you share with your neighbor at the telephone poles) .
Underground systems only get water if it gets in the ground block at the house or the pedistal is submerged or flooded- (Pedistal is a box in the rear easement of your yard)
Outside fittings should have electrode grease and some may have rubber boots, but grease is best to keep water out.

However from my experience the most common problem I have seen is that the customer would have a self installed splitter configuration inside their house, in attempt to add more TV's. Also the majority of the time, I see junk hardware installed that is sold at Menards, Walmart, ect. If not installed correctly, or they have bad hardware can cause noise in the line, also take signal away from your internet line. The internet suffers or goes out intermittently if there is too much noise in the line. Fittings aren't as simple as it looks, I have even seen most electricians try to make fittings and most of them were bad.
All splitters have a mhz value. two way splitters have two 3.5 legs, 3 way splitters will have either two 7.5 and a 3.5 leg or three 5.5 mhz legs. and a 4 way spliter has four 7.5 hz legs.
You can get an eight way but it really eats up signal, therefore you'd need an amplifier..thats another subject though!

Last edited:
I've got an ISP guy coming out on the 31st to check the connections and all to watch for the drops.
EDIT: Fortunately Rocket League doesn't actually kick me out of the match when the connection drops, it just completely desyncs me for the 10-15 seconds it needs to reestablish. for BF it completely closes the game and when it happens when I'm watching a stream, it freezes and has to be refreshed to start back up

Windstream basically has a monopoly on my area out in the woods. Will see what the tech can find out on Thursday when he arrives. Its finally a livable connection since they finally allowed upgrades last year from 3mbps download to 28mbps for only like 10$ extra a month. The problem just started last Saturday, so I'll let the guy show up and see whats what first.

Also, to prove it, run a ping -t to an IP. This will continuously ping the IP to see if it's getting packet loss. Especially useful on local IPs.

Example: ping -t google.com

also, netstat can be useful for various connection tests.

I've got an ISP guy coming out on the 31st to check the connections and all to watch for the drops.
EDIT: Fortunately Rocket League doesn't actually kick me out of the match when the connection drops, it just completely desyncs me for the 10-15 seconds it needs to reestablish. for BF it completely closes the game and when it happens when I'm watching a stream, it freezes and has to be refreshed to start back up

I dealt with this once. The tech came out to my house 5 or 6 times. I think he got tired of coming to my place as much as I was tired of him coming to my place. We never even had sex. Finnally he put in a work order to have the street level connections checked out and that did the trick.

Back