SLI/Second video card woes....

AmishBob

Assistant to the Regional Leadership Manager
Admin
So I got a good deal on a second new GTX 970 FTW card (identical EVGA model) and it came today. Put it in the second slot on my Sabertooth z97. Powers up, but won't be detected by the bios or windows no matter what I do. Switch the video cards to ensure the new card was working fine (it is). Updated the bios, etc.

Wanted to see if anyone had any ideas before I utilize the 5 year warranty on the mobo. Thanks!

:shrug: thats the setup I have and they work great! try startiung up with only one in one slot, then move it to the other. If the other slot doesn't work then that's your answer.

Haven't run dual cards since 2x5870 but I remember having to enable crossfire to get the second card to recognize/work. Not sure how Nvidia works.

Haven't run dual cards since 2x5870 but I remember having to enable crossfire to get the second card to recognize/work. Not sure how Nvidia works.
Same thing you have to do it inside the Nvidia control panel under
GPU Configuration Visualizer

The GPU configuration visualizer shows the system configuration for the current selected options. The selections do not go into effect until you click Apply. :

@DocHolliday you might have to clear the bios and then default it. Then check all the settings again. Is the second card slot damaged? Is the second slot used allowing the video card to be seated correctly.

Not sure if this may be of help, but did you hook them together with the sli cable that runs between the 2 cards? It's called an SLI bridge cable, should be one in your video card box, and maybe one in your motherboard box just in case one was faulty.

Also, this video might help you a little.

Good luck!

ps. If this still doesn't work, try the new card in a different pcie slot if you have another free one one available.

Last edited:
BIOS, Device Manager, and CPU z don't see the card at all. It spins and runs. Hooking up a cable to it doesn't matter either. Going to try it in the bottom slot just see what happens and try one of the cards just in the second slot.

Have you tried putting one card in the second slot and leaving the first slot empty? I'm thinking you have a bad MOBO TBH.

Have you tried putting one card in the second slot and leaving the first slot empty? I'm thinking you have a bad MOBO TBH.

Yep, tried that a bit ago. No dice. Going to order the identical Motherboard and install it and flip it when it comes and then RMA this one and either do another build or sell it.

Why couldn't you have bought a 970 earlier?? I just picked up a new Mark 1 Sabertooth... Could have saved some $$ buying yours. O well, hope you get it all worked out. :D

So got my new board. Installation/swap went fine. Everything works great....except the second damn port. I can't get a video card to show as active in slow no matter what. No idea what I should check or set. There has to be a setting or preference somewhere. about ready to throw in the towel.

seems to be a common issue with the sabertooth line.....

Did you flash the bios on the new mobo and if so did you do it when both cards were inserted?
If so try flashing with just one card in, then power up / down and insert the second maybe.

Have you made sure integrated graphics is disabled in the bios?
upload_2015-12-5_20-24-19.png

It's possible the second slot does not support Gen 3.0 - you can try forcing Gen 2.0.

Yeah I've tried those. The slot does support gen 3.

I can't get a video card to show as active in slow no matter what.
I'm not sure what you meant by "slow" (typo?)

If you're using a 120hz monitor or higher you actually may have to install a second SLI bridge for it to work properly. Apparantly (at least with AMD crossfire) 1 bridge isn't capable of the extra bandwidth.

I has this issue with my 7970's in crossfire when I upgraded to a 144hz. Had to run to Micro Center and buy a second crossfire bridge.

Last edited:
The maximus line from Asus are just amazing boards. You can't go wrong with them. If you can find one for sale, go for it. I personally owned that board and I know a few members also use it. You will not regret picking it up.

Apparantly, there's known issues with EVGA 970 cards not being able to run together in SLI.

(Read 5th post from the bottom) http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...abled-with-980gtx-of-different-brands.211043/

(Direct support links from EVGA) https://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=59534 and http://forums.evga.com/having-trouble-with-SLI-970s-one-reference-one-not-m2242757.aspx

There is a piece of software called "DifferentSLIAuto1.2" that some people have used and claimed that it helped fix their SLI issues. Here is a link to it but I DO NOT have any experience using it myself so you might want to do some research on it before using it. http://www.mediafire.com/download/ykd6k02ink9p7st/DifferentSLIAuto1.2.zip

IMO if you're thinking about getting a new mobo anyway, you might want to give this a try and see if works and possibly save you some money.

I guess my thought process is that first and foremost a card should show up in the BIOS for that second slot. I can't even get a single card in the second slot to display video. If the bios can't see it, then nothing can. Right?

I'd call Asus again and have them troubleshoot it. Built a system for a friend and had two WD 1TB Blacks DOA in a row.

Back