Locksmith made me buy it...

Nice! 27 inch 144hz will change your life! makes every thing easier to hit, and that high refresh rate is awesome in a jet when looping and looking at the ground, you don't just see a blur.

Okay, so why did you buy an nvidia graphics card and get that kick ass monitor that won't work with freesync and your video card? Don't you need a monitor with G-sync for nvidia cards?

Reactions: Ash
you don't need G-Sync at all if your running 144hz. In fact some things ive read say that G-Sync can even hurt if your running 144hz, of course others posts say it doesn't. Either way the bottom line is you don't need it when your refresh rate is that high.

Last edited:
Nice! I have the same display! (just different brand) also running 980ti. let me know how far u overclock (if your into that)

Nice! I have the same display! (just different brand) also running 980ti. let me know how far u overclock (if your into that)
Max.PNG
This is the Max i had for about a month before a driver crash so i decreased it and im slowly upping it every month till i get near this again to see my max stable. (core clock 1518 MHz)
now.PNG

This is what im running now. (Core clock is 1485 Mhz)
curve.PNG

Fan curve

Last edited:
Okay, so why did you buy an nvidia graphics card and get that kick ass monitor that won't work with freesync and your video card? Don't you need a monitor with G-sync for nvidia cards?

It should be a g-sync monitor to get the main benefit not sure why anyone would buy a AMD free sync monitor to use with a nvidia yes you will get 144hz so that's still a benefit but the main benefit of buying a g-sync card and spending that much on a monitor is to get the correct version to make use of g-sync. With a g-sync version even future games where you get less frame rates than 144 will still play silky smooth as the frames 'sync'. Even playing at 45 frames with a g-sync card and monitor will be much better than 60 frames. This is when having the freesync version is a problem especially when the freesync and g-sync models are normally the same price...

Edit- I'm not trying to piss on anyone's fire, just worth mentioning incase you still have time time return it for a g-sync model.

Last edited:
OK OK OK OK !!! I got the point! I took the 144mhz back, Got a 27 " 165 MHz with g-sync. Only $ 400 extra for it.....

Attachments

• new 165mhz GM.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 197
Nice previous oc. I wonder if i can hit that high up with mine. I only have the ref model but i have it on water tho. Have u tried going back to an older driver to see if its more stable? Still using 361.75

It should be a g-sync monitor to get the main benefit not sure why anyone would buy a AMD free sync monitor to use with a nvidia yes you will get 144hz so that's still a benefit but the main benefit of buying a g-sync card and spending that much on a monitor is to get the correct version to make use of g-sync. With a g-sync version even future games where you get less frame rates than 144 will still play silky smooth as the frames 'sync'. Even playing at 45 frames with a g-sync card and monitor will be much better than 60 frames. This is when having the freesync version is a problem especially when the freesync and g-sync models are normally the same price...

Edit- I'm not trying to piss on anyone's fire, just worth mentioning incase you still have time time return it for a g-sync model.
True, if you where to drop below 75 frames per second it would become noticeably but i really don't think that would ever happen with a high end GPU and the right graphical settings. But your not wrong it would be better to have if you found your self at 40fps. He did buy the wrong one but i still don't think it matters much because hes going to be sitting at 110+ FPS ALL the time. Also he said he got a very good deal on the display.
Nice previous oc. I wonder if i can hit that high up with mine. I only have the ref model but i have it on water tho. Have u tried going back to an older driver to see if its more stable? Still using 361.75
I always use the latest driver, and i consider high end fans better than water cooling.

True, if you where to drop below 75 frames per second it would become noticeably but i really don't think that would ever happen with a high end GPU and the right graphical settings. But your not wrong it would be better to have if you found your self at 40fps. He did buy the wrong one but i still don't think it matters much because hes going to be sitting at 110+ FPS ALL the time. Also he said he got a very good deal on the display.
I always use the latest driver, and i consider high end fans better than water cooling.

Disagree, I have the same card and even with a serious overclock I can't play Witcher 3 or GTA V at 2560x1440 with ultra settings and get over 90 frames and that's with hair works off in Witcher, so straight away I would benefit from G-Sync and they're not even new titles.

Last edited:
What would be a reasonably priced monitor to hook my laptop up to? I can probably afford around 300 bucks.

What would be a reasonably priced monitor to hook my laptop up to? I can probably afford around 300 bucks.
Check the Monitor i have in my signiture, i have two of them and they work well, although it doesn't have G-sync or Freesync it does go up to 144hz But the question is can your laptop run bf4 at decent settings at 100+ frames per second?

Now the question here is whether I want to sell my 970 for a 980ti or 1070...

sorry to revive old thread. @locksmith673 cant stay stable when trying to hit 1531mhz. looks like it keeps down clocking to 1513 after i go over power limit. Think ill have to mod bios to allow me to hit 120%

Back