Gunship and One Sided Commander

SunshineTheGoat

The ac-130 gunship ignores a server's VEHICLE RESPAWN DELAY %.

The TBG all maps conquest server has a 100% vehicle respawn delay setting, so when a vehicle is lost, that team suffers a sufficient penalty until the timer has expired and the vehicle respawns, yet the gunship ignores this setting entirely.

The gunship gets destroyed very easily, yes... but with the zero cooldown or respawn delay timer, the commander can call this asset back in the moment it is destroyed, creating a frustrating experience.

Furthermore, Dice decided to buff the gunship's accuracy and damage several patches ago, this ruins the Naval Strike maps, and every other map with an exposed geography (such as caspian and firestorm)

To make matters worst, newer players don't realize that that miniature gunship icon on the map means a gunship controlled capture point.

And to top it all off, many matches have only one commander, understandably, because playing commander is a tedious experience, why Dice had to strip away the awesome formula from BF2 is beyond me.

TBG, until the CTE patch goes live on retail for gunship 90 second respawn delay timer, can we not all agree that it ruins the game?

Please, for the love of bringing back strategy and tactics to battlefield, please disable commanders from your servers.

Side Note: UAV spam, it's immense radius, and spam, plus MVT real time 3d spotting HUD indication are also terribly unbalanced game mechanics.

/end rant

edit:

Remember too that even with commander disabled, certain points still maintain a high tactical value in terms of spawning in particular armor assets like heavy tanks or mobile anti air, or simply having high strategic value in terms of their geographic location on the map, such as the naval strike high cliff control points that give you vision over the entire map for engineers and recon to engage enemy vehicles and provide superior spotting capabilities, or Guilian's center map point holding high strategic value in that it's an easy to defend central location on the map providing quick access to capture all other points.

There is so much strategic variation in all the map's control points that gets bogged down into simplicity when commanders are present, or everyone is fighting for a singular point to control a gunship asset.

UPDATE:

Not keeping track official-like, but from multiple daily in game chats asking for yes/no/no opinion/ on cmmdr being disabled, the Yes vote appears to be on top by a good margin.

I hope server traffic reflects that.

Cheers TBG

Last edited:
If the gunship is a problem I communicate with the team to get it down and since it's attacking them too, they're usually willing to help.

5 SRAWs take the gunship down. Mobile AA and jets do it in less time. Sometimes a squad member and I TV missile it with the attack chopper.

I don't think it should be removed. Jets rammers are annoying but I wouldn't say remove them. "teamwork makes the dream work"

A gunship is easily handled by a Mobile AA. It is something you have to counter. Commander is a part of the game, just like an Airburst. Our I/O, Domination, and Locker/Metro servers do not have commanders if you would like to play under the TBG umbrella without feeling heat from that AC-130.

If the gunship is a problem I communicate with the team to get it down and since it's attacking them too, they're usually willing to help.

5 SRAWs take the gunship down. Mobile AA and jets do it in less time. Sometimes a squad member and I TV missile it with the attack chopper.

I don't think it should be removed. Jets rammers are annoying but I wouldn't say remove them. "teamwork makes the dream work"

Right the gunship definite drops easily, no debating that, the problem is the commander asset itself has no cooldown, so the instant it is destroyed it can be called in again... Dice did not handle this properly at all... they on CTE have already added a 1 minute cooldown to it... but that is not live on retail servers... meaning gunship spam. It's ridiculous gameplay asset as is.

A gunship is easily handled by a Mobile AA. It is something you have to counter. Commander is a part of the game, just like an Airburst. Our I/O, Domination, and Locker/Metro servers do not have commanders if you would like to play under the TBG umbrella without feeling heat from that AC-130.

Thanks for letting me know about those servers mate! But battlefield is all at conquest for me.

Turning off commander or increasing from 70 to 100 are the only ones.

I dont see the point in tweaking those two settings. Not dismissing your feedback but if we had large demand for these settings to be changed then that would be more feasible. Not because one person requests it. There may be others who disagree with this. It needs to be general consensus.

That quote was from this discussion http://www.tbgclan.com/threads/any-...with-all-maps-no-commander.31829/#post-210156

Is there a way we could get a community poll here on the forums and see what the opinion is on the subject of commander mode being disabled?
I really do think most would like it off but aren't as vocal about it like some people.... :rolleyes:

Just from mentioning this topic in servers every once in a while I get the feeling there is a good number of people who agree that commander mode as it currently stands is a system that was not implemented correctly by DICE, and would prefer it removed from the TBG all map conquest server.

Or how about a test run weekend, turn it off, do a before and after poll? I think the quality of the game play will increase immensely on maps like Caspian border, rogue transmission, zavod 311, and especially all the naval strike maps.

What I mean specifically when I say that commander system was not implemented correctly is mainly two points:

1) UAV: scan is far too wide a radius, it can be spammed so that at all times nearly everyone on the map is revealed. Remember in bf3 how one squad's flank could change the tide of the entire battle? Yes, a recon could MAV scan a flanking squad, but that took effort and tactical reconnaissance, not a blanket click-and-reveal the entire map as with this commander asset. This removed will force recon back into their role of reconnaissance and bring back ninja tactics that squads could enjoy in BF3.

2) AC-130 Gunship: As mentioned before, this commander asset has no cooldown, meaning it can be called back in the moment it is destroyed. Gunship is very weak in terms of survivability, but it does immense amounts of damage, and that's not including the spotting and para-drop capabilities of the passengers. So even though a single jet run by or a concentrated dose of MAA fire will bring it down near instantly, the commander has no reason not to call it right back in and the cycle repeats. This means any open map like caspian, rogue, and naval strike maps are miserable experiences for infantry even when a coordinated team brings the gunship down, only to find it spontaneously reappear.

Many players do not even realize that certain map points control the gunship, and DICE did an awful job at helping newer players realize what control point controls what commander asset -the tiny airplane icon is barely noticeable even with a 100% enlarged UI enabled.

Maybe I'm just a whiny nerd, but I really do think that shutting commander will bring so much more enjoyment to your community's game experience, while restoring some of the macro team strategy and micro squad tactics.

Gunship patrols over "No Fly Zones", getting destroyed and making it to where the troops inside have NO chance whatsoever of survival!

I don't get how this doesn't generate discussion?! :confused:

The ac 130 is so broken as a game mechanic I can't believe you guys that game BF4 all the time don't see it. You kill it and it is called back in instantly!!! Instantly god damn it!!! How can anyone support that!? It's passengers constantly spot everyone on the map, that's on top of the already constant spotting from UAV, then the passengers can paradrop onto nearly anywhere on the map making mobile spawns all over the place. /sigh

Come on people!!!

edit: You guys have a 100% vehicle respawn delay cooldown on vehicles on the 24/7 all maps conquest server, that's an adequate amount, not too fast, not too slow, it is *balanced,* AC 130 does not have a balanced respawn timer, because instant respawn is baloney! (ps what happened to the 70-75% vehicle respawn delay setting you guys used to have?)

Last edited:
87.6% of TBG members seem to only play domination or on our Metro/Lockers servers. This is probably where the lack of "discussion" comes from.

well the gunship to me is a very, VERY strong asset to the battlefield. The instant respawn the CO is authorized to do tells me 3 things I/the team needs to do(if I am getting raped by it): 1. Take cover and hide/get out of its Fatal Funnel while asking friendly assets to assist. 2. Pull out my SMAWs; or get in a jet. 3. Try to cap the flag where it spawns.

The gunship, again, is a strong asset to the team who HAS a CO. It has been nerfed from BF3 where they actually had a "paradrop" option in the spawn menu. Gunship is powerful, but it is a glass cannon, speaking when your team is attacking it. I personally don't let it affect my fun factor, all it takes is a little adjustment in my tactics and it wont even phase me.

P.S. 4th option: alt-f4 and play on one of our other servers that doesn't have CO

I have seen what these things can do in real life.....so maybe my opinion is biased?

87.6% of TBG members seem to only play domination or on our Metro/Lockers servers. This is probably where the lack of "discussion" comes from.

Wow, those are surprising numbers. That group is missing out on so much of the content. Battlefield is conquest at it's roots! Anyhow, that remaining 12.4% should chime in!

And conquest in bf4 pales in comparison to 2142 and bf2: ) IMO.

Wow, those are surprising numbers. That group is missing out on so much of the content. Battlefield is conquest at it's roots! Anyhow, that remaining 12.4% should chime in!
Or it could be that a chunk of that 12% is at work at the time you posted that this thread is a discussion and not venting?

well the gunship to me is a very, VERY strong asset to the battlefield. The instant respawn the CO is authorized to do tells me 3 things I/the team needs to do(if I am getting raped by it): 1. Take cover and hide/get out of its Fatal Funnel while asking friendly assets to assist. 2. Pull out my SMAWs; or get in a jet. 3. Try to cap the flag where it spawns.

The gunship, again, is a strong asset to the team who HAS a CO. It has been nerfed from BF3 where they actually had a "paradrop" option in the spawn menu. Gunship is powerful, but it is a glass cannon, speaking when your team is attacking it. I personally don't let it affect my fun factor, all it takes is a little adjustment in my tactics and it wont even phase me.

P.S. 4th option: alt-f4 and play on one of our other servers that doesn't have CO

I have seen what these things can do in real life.....so maybe my opinion is biased?

I would disagree that it's a glass cannon, because while yes it does die insanely fast while being able to dish out insane amounts of damage (glass cannon by definition), having no respawn timer delay unlike any any other vehicle in the game is what makes it an over powered, unbalanced asset rather than simply a glass cannon-type mechanic.

I also change up my kit, shuffle up squad tactics, and approach objectives differently when the enemy gunship is in the air, but once we do take it down, all our effort goes to shit because it will be called in again right away.

It's the same reason you guys don't have a 0% respawn delay setting on vehicles on your all maps conquest server, because if helos, tanks, etc. get called back in right after being destroyed that would just be a terrible way to have matches. If anti armor takes the effort to remove enemy vehicles and then those destroyed vehicles would reappear instantly, its bull, right? The penalty on every other vehicle in the game is that if you lose the vehicle your team will have to wait to get it back again. There is no penalty suffered on the enemy for losing their gunship other than the commander having to spend a few measly points calling the asset back in, and more importantly there's no benefit for the team taking out the gunship because it might as well be invincible with a zero respawn timer delay, that's whats wrong with the asset.

What I see dice eventually doing, as they already have on CTE with the 60-90 second respawn timer delay, is making the delay even longer, but making the gunship able to take more abuse. But until then...

And as for alt-f4'ing out, you ain't getting rid o my ass that easy snake! Haha. No, but seriously it's good to hear some other opinions on gunship, would be cool to hear some more from TBG on it.

Owning the "Gunship" flag means having that asset on call. It sucks that a lot of people lack the teamwork to Assault/Defend the flags that give CO assets that rape your team. Welcome to Nu-Betafield!

Back