Getting Tethering working on Android 5.0

RainMotorsports

Leadership
Leadership
I couldn't tether on stock 5.0 so I ended up installing MultiRom to dual boot 5.0 and CM11(4.4) on my Nexus 5. This setting may not be needed on all carriers or devices. Seems pretty common on T-Mobile/MetroPCS since 4.4.

This didn't seem to work on stock, but I found a good working CM12 build and it did. It does require root.
Open a Terminal Window and type su and hit enter. Then type "settings put global tether_dun_required 0" without the quotes.

CM12 is pretty much not even started yet. But Nexus 5 users can find a build here (The 23rd seems pretty good) - http://forum.xda-developers.com/goo...unofficial-cm12-cmhammerhead-nexus-5-t2938502
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95784891001615072

I just use wifi tether router app, just requires root, which I have not got around to doing in 5.0 yet.
BTW, am pretty much love everything about 5.0. Huge visual upgrade.

I just use wifi tether router app, just requires root, which I have not got around to doing in 5.0 yet.
BTW, am pretty much love everything about 5.0. Huge visual upgrade.

Its a Nexus, you shouldnt need an app for something that is a part of the operating system :p. They made it in 4.4 so that tethered traffic is marked. Basically just need that setting turned off once and its fixed forever.

Coming from CM, 5.0 is horrible and Google should be ashamed of themselves. No seriously. They always have and still make a shitty incomplete operating system. The power menu has one button and its off, no restart? Must have made testing a pain in the ass... oh wait programmers love doing things the hardway. They probably used ADB over USB to do most of their reboots...

Loving how Nexus 6 features filtered down to the Nexus 5. Since they didn't use the notification light on the 6 at all, someone must have decided not to see if the charging light works on the 5 before pushing the update :p

Well I've had the app since my galaxy s4, and it gives me a lot of easy options and control. So I keep using it.
Yeah the lack of restart on power is possibly my biggest issue with both 4.4 and 5.0.

Back