C7 Z06

Very interesting read Craig. I like how the Performance Data Recorder (PDR) brings an affordable option to consumers like us interested in analyzing results after a fun day on the road or track. I'm not surprised that other manufacturers are following in Chevrolet's footsteps equipping these data recorders as an OEM option like how Porsche now offers a Track Precision app. The technology seems user friendly and the author said that compared to the GoPro, the video quality was inferior but still impressive nevertheless.

The article states that PDR comes as standard on Corvettes with the 3LZ trim package but can be added to 1LZ- or 2LZ-equipped cars for $1,795. That Z06 sounds like a beast with just the stock exhaust. Is the Z06 worth the extra $25k over the Stingray? Hard to say no when the wide body aesthetics and other performance upgrades take the car to new level.

I do like the data recorders for personal use but I do not like the direction they are going as the NHTSB and insurance companies have been trying to get them mandated in vehicles. This will act like a black box for the vehicle, but you won't have access to the data which will require the performance vehicles to have two of them so the consumer can access the data.

I do like the data recorders for personal use but I do not like the direction they are going as the NHTSB and insurance companies have been trying to get them mandated in vehicles. This will act like a black box for the vehicle, but you won't have access to the data which will require the performance vehicles to have two of them so the consumer can access the data.

You're absolutely right. Imagine having fun on a back road somewhere in the middle of no where and you're utilizing the PDR. If a cop pulls you over, they could use the data to prosecute you in a court of law if it's your word against the cop. Then again, the officer would most likely have you on video.

I agree with your thoughts on the NHTSB and insurance companies mandating these in vehicles.

@Dez . "Is the Z06 worth the extra $25k over the Stingray?" Sure you can take a base stingray and add $25k to make it perform at that level or higher but it will not be a factory tested and warrantied car. I get that about my ZL1 all the time. Just buy an ss and upgrade. Does not really work that way and will cost way more.

I don't know if you have seen this, and it's not really on topic of makes but as far as vehicles it is, anyways here is a Nissan vs a Porche (go to 1 minute 05 seconds to get to it)

also I must say much respect to Chevrolet, and middle finger to all ford trucks and cars (yes cobra included)

Last I heard, Z06 from factory Chevrolet come with factory warranty as long as engines are not modified.

Am I reading the wrong information directly from GM? Care to Chime in Craig?

Last edited:
Warranty is currently 5 years/100,000 miles whichever comes first. Starting in 2016 the Corvette will be reduced to a 5 year/60,000 miles warranty.

As far as the warranty being voided due to modifactions, that no longer holds true since Ford lost a lawsuit, if I recall correctly, over K&N filters being used in their products. The only time the modifications will void your warranty is if the dealership can directly link the modification to the problem. So if you decided your Z06 needs to be more of a ZL1 and and the supercharger which leads to your bottom end falling out, then you will not be covered.

EDIT: With the ability to record the data the dealership could claim that you were racing your vehicle and thus void your warranty if issues arise due to being tough on the vehicle.

@Dez . "Is the Z06 worth the extra $25k over the Stingray?" Sure you can take a base stingray and add $25k to make it perform at that level or higher but it will not be a factory tested and warrantied car. I get that about my ZL1 all the time. Just buy an ss and upgrade. Does not really work that way and will cost way more.
This is a great point you bring up. There are two types of performance junkies out there. 1) I want to purchase a turn-key vehicle that has a warranty so if any issues come up it will be covered (minus track time). 2) I don't want to spend *that* much so I'm going to buy a Fourth Gen F-Body or C5 for a $5k-$25k and put in $10k-$20k into it and I will smoke you on the strip, track, street, etc.

This is a great point you bring up. There are two types of performance junkies out there. 1) I want to purchase a turn-key vehicle that has a warranty so if any issues come up it will be covered (minus track time). 2) I don't want to spend *that* much so I'm going to buy a Fourth Gen F-Body or C5 for a $5k-$25k and put in $10k-$20k into it and I will smoke you on the strip, track, street, etc.

Seeing a C7 Stingray on the road heading in the opposite direction doesn't quite turn my head as much as the C7/C6 wide body Z06 does.

It's not only that but the power of the LS7 / Supercharged LT4 engines.

Back