BF4 Rush Only - Autobalancer

H0mer_Simpson1

Admins, --- As you have probably read, the summer patch included "Added the Team balancer (featured) as a default server option for larger modes". So now there are two balancer working against each other (BF4's new balancer and TBG's server balancer) and the result is you will get switched back and forth and play defense or offense multiple times in a row which is annoying. I liked the old TBG balancer much more (it worked and did its job). I would like to suggest in the server option turn the new "TEAM BALANCE" setting to No, rather then the current/default yes. I know it is a new feature and you probably have not even played it yet.
Thanks as always,HS

im sorry the team balancer they implemented is hard coded, there is no option to disable unless we run as an unranked server.

I disabled something called skilled based balancer. No idea what that does though.

Three of us today where switched to other team because of skill on the Final Stand server.
Two where switch within approximately 90 minutes ago.

Dice's team based skill balance was re-enabled on the all map rush server. Just went 8 rounds in a row defending because Dice's team based skill balance balanced the squad to defense every round. Unless it can be set to only balance once every map, so that you can play both attack and defense on rush, it needs to be removed.

It was not reenabled. Please refer to screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-03-07-33-14.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-03-07-33-14.png
    214.1 KB · Views: 13
Dice's team based skill balance was re-enabled on the all map rush server. Just went 8 rounds in a row defending because Dice's team based skill balance balanced the squad to defense every round. Unless it can be set to only balance once every map, so that you can play both attack and defense on rush, it needs to be removed.

Erratic-- If you read the above material the problem has actually been solved (as of 9PM last night Sept 2)...? State some actual data points such as time, map, attacking or defending, round #.... I was having this problem also but I think Fast fixed the problem.

I missed your post before I responded to Erratic. [Sorry Erratic]... The server setting "SKILL BASED AUTOBALANCER" = "OFF" fixes the problem, but obviously the setting does not want to remain static.....? Right?

I will look into it but it sounds like a BF4-Dice problem

As always thanks
HS

Last edited:
FAST and Erratic,

YOU are both right.......

I thought this problem was resolved..... since I played 5-6 rounds with no problems. So,apparently BF4/Dice is --NOW-- not allowing admins to turn off the (now) default BF4 balancer

@Fast It's off on the server page but still doing it's thing in game. It's not a TBG issue I don't think, It's just Dice lacking the insight to release a balancer that takes rush into mind. They're getting ripped apart on the CTE forums about the balancer on rush and have stated they are working on code that sorts based on what side you played per map. It was off and then started happening again once the rank, map, knife scripts were re-added.

Good to know thanks. Keep us updated but I'm afraid we can't do shit at this point.

Fast -- Will you please set "SKILL BASED AUTOBALANCER" = "OFF"... I will be on for awhile and I will check if there is any correlation between this setting defaulting and the server crashing.. or map changing, etc.

I know Erratic is saying its not a server setting problem which is correct since the balancer its a 'exciting new' feature for BF4, but when you changed 'skill based' setting to off last night (8PM) it started acting more normal... meaning it was still balancing between rounds but not base on skill (which is the problematic trait).. maybe just based on the # of players on each side ....

If I am right we just need to figure why the server keeps defaulting that setting...

Here are the official Server notes about the new balancer which can be found in the zip file linked below in "R51 Document Changes.pdf"
http://eaassets-a.akamaihd.net/dice...erver_R51_165241_Docs_ServerAdministrator.zip

And reads:
(the last sentence is the most important)
  • Skill based team balancer: The new team balancer is a start-of-round balancer. It is designed to balance lopsided servers by breaking up teams over several rounds.
    The team balancer works by:
    • - Taking both team sizes and skill into consideration. It works by:
    • - Rebuilding the teams based on skill after every round
    • - Keeping squads & friends together
    • - Preventing excessive team stacking
    • - Assigning joining players by skill during rounds
    • - Replaces players that previously left the game with new joiners
    • - Evaluating manual team switching on a case by case basis and refuse team switching
      which may ruin the balance of the server
    • - Attempting to prevent team stacking by being more restrictive of high skilled players
      trying to switch to the better team
    • - Freely allowing team switching when there are very few (less than 5v5) players on the
      server
    • - Being enabled in “bigger” team based game modes only
    • It is enabled by default on Official servers, it can be controlled on non-Official servers by using vars.SkillBasedBalance

It got turned off yesterday for a bit and then the knife, rank, etc scripts were re-added and that's when it started balancing again. I'm guessing that the battlelog webpage for the server doesn't update until the server restarts which is why it appeared to still be off last night and this morning.

please refer to my screenshot above. It is already turned off, the skill one, not the actual balancer. There are two. You cant turn off their balancer, it's greyed out

http://www.tbgclan.com/threads/bf4-rush-only-autobalancer.39690/#post-255321

Here are the official Server notes about the new balancer which can be found in the zip file linked below in "R51 Document Changes.pdf"
http://eaassets-a.akamaihd.net/dice...erver_R51_165241_Docs_ServerAdministrator.zip

And reads:
(the last sentence is the most important)
  • Skill based team balancer: The new team balancer is a start-of-round balancer. It is designed to balance lopsided servers by breaking up teams over several rounds.
    The team balancer works by:
    • - Taking both team sizes and skill into consideration. It works by:
    • - Rebuilding the teams based on skill after every round
    • - Keeping squads & friends together
    • - Preventing excessive team stacking
    • - Assigning joining players by skill during rounds
    • - Replaces players that previously left the game with new joiners
    • - Evaluating manual team switching on a case by case basis and refuse team switching
      which may ruin the balance of the server
    • - Attempting to prevent team stacking by being more restrictive of high skilled players
      trying to switch to the better team
    • - Freely allowing team switching when there are very few (less than 5v5) players on the
      server
    • - Being enabled in “bigger” team based game modes only
    • It is enabled by default on Official servers, it can be controlled on non-Official servers by using vars.SkillBasedBalance

I know, and it was turned off and then it got turned back on. This one right here: https://gyazo.com/b15db839588288813892b78b4df58a3f

The Dice skill based team balancer released with the patch was turned off originally when this thread was started. Later that night y'all re-added the knife, rank etc scripts. After that happened, the Dice balancer was back on and balancing in game. As of right now it is enabled on the server as you can see in my screenshot.

Current the cvar is stating

vars.SkillBasedBalance false in the startup.txt

Battlelog is reporting it incorrectly.

I will check procon for shits and giggle.s

There's:
vars.SkillBasedBalance true/false

and also

vars.autoBalance true/false

It's obviously not the first one, maybe it's the second one?

Do you mind looking at what that one is in the cvar?

Back