Anyone try the amd r7 250?

Krazy_fanboy

im looking for a alternative gpu for a client build. They are saying the 7950 puts off to much heat, his pc is on 24hrs idle but when he games obviously ambient tempts go up 20deg but he wants something cooler. I have down clocked the gpu and even the CPU a little.

He asked me to look at some options. His budget is none and it'll be a trade for the 7950 and that's why I was looking at the r7 250.

What's your ideas that I can look at?

Last edited:
how about the new 1050 or 1050ti it has all the things your lookin for should come out oct 25th, check out some youtube videos.

or put a waterblock on ANY gpu you get and be done with it.
This doesn't reduce heat, just displaces it. The heat still ends up in the room.

The 7950 runs hot. might compare power usage and heat numbers to a 1060. I don't think the 1050 will quite compete for power. maybe the Ti.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I believe the review Sample I had sent to @KublaKhan was an R7 260X even though originally they were only going to send a 260 and that was plenty for awhile. The 250 will possibly play something like BF1 on low. I know the older 6670 played BF3 on low just fine. But it wont be much beyond that. Stick to Source games I guess lol

I believe the review Sample I had sent to @KublaKhan was an R7 260X even though originally they were only going to send a 260 and that was plenty for awhile. The 250 will possibly play something like BF1 on low. I know the older 6670 played BF3 on low just fine. But it wont be much beyond that. Stick to Source games I guess lol

Yep, a R7 260x - It runs BF3 on Medium/High @ 40-50FPS.

This doesn't reduce heat, just displaces it. The heat still ends up in the room.
well shit on my parade, at least the heat isn't directly on the component...which is what the quarrel was with ;) get your point though, depending on his location, this may or may not assist his electric bill? hehe

There for a while it was cheaper to heat my living space with my computer ... instead of paying for oil.

7950's are selling for around 100-130 on Ebay. It's going to be nearly impossible to find something that would be an even swap in price and performance (unless you consider something used to give back to them) as the 7950.

I would consider: (In order of fastest first)

1: GTX 950
2: AMD RX 460 (A little faster than the GTX 750 ti)
3: GTX 750 ti

The slowest card here (750 ti) is still capable of running BF4 @60 fps (@1080) on med-high settings.

A GTX 750 ti is about as fast as an older GTX 570 (if that info helps you)

Back