About to finally be able to afford the new setup!

Nameless Ranger

Making a complete overhaul of my current setup. Which is:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/h4KWWZ

I have been saving money forever and I'm about to be able to have my minimum of $1,500 over my budget which will still keep me comfortable enough after purchase. And I'm glad I've held off since now I get to play with the new GTX 1080's in SLI! Woot!

New list:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/gQtw6X

Will probably sell my other parts off once I get everything delivered. If you're interested let me know! I'll give ya a good deal :D Everything I have I keep in pristine condition.

I'd post this on partpicker, so might as well post it here too... why? I mean this isn't shame for the money, but it just looks like one of those builds where the guy went for the top of everything just because.

I'd post this on partpicker, so might as well post it here too... why? I mean this isn't shame for the money, but it just looks like one of those builds where the guy went for the top of everything just because.

I made the build on PCPartPicker a little over a year ago and I've been constantly saving money and changing things as I've gone along. I'm excited to finally be able to afford what I consider an ultimate rig and something I can be proud of to play on. It's overkill. But, to me it's worth every penny. If you truly love something and are passionate about it I believe you should put your heart and soul into it. My thing just so happens to be building PCs and gaming on them.

Last edited:
And I can understand and respect that. I also look at the use/stats of a build though and there's so much fat... even if I was pulling down a million a year there's just some things I know I wouldn't ever need/use. Again I'm not trying to bash you but but for loving and gaming on them, 10TB is a lot of storage, probably 2x as much as my little brothers subsonic server ever was but as a server it's purpose was to hold stuff.

I'm with Vordar, Non of us are here to knock your build. At the end of the day it's your money. I just think you're literally pissing away a lot of it for no good reason at all. If you made this build over a year ago, with minor adjustments, I think you might want to go through and do a little more research on current prices etc.

1. $900 for a standard 4k 60hz monitor is insane. Have you looked around at other 4k monitors? Is there a reason these 2 are the ones you selected?

2. I don't really care that you're going for 10GB of storage, I'm just curious as to why you're getting a 2TB SSD thats costing you almost $700. What are you needing all this storage for? Why do you need such a huge SSD?

I'm not going to pick apart your whole build, I just want to give you an idea of the kind of money you're wasting. I'm sure you work hard for it. Between the Monitors and SSD, you're doubling the cost of your build.

why no 3.5" floppy drive? how are you going to backup your system....lol

^^^^^LMFAO man i could do it all but that shipping tho, cant do it.

Imo, the dual 1080s is over kill as well. It's not a future proof over kill, just things you don't need overkill.

Having a 1080 now myself, can confirm that 2 might be overkill. Also keep in mind that sli support has been getting worse and worse. I bet next generation they try to get away from it completely.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

The 2 1080's is temporary. I will be eventually only using 1 about 3 months after I get them. My roommate/buddy is buying the other one off me.

And no, I wasn't aware of those fans. I'm a huge Corsair fan and usually am up to date on their products. Must have somehow slipped passed me.

My budget is pretty high since all I ever do now is stay at home and never go out. So, the money just sits in my bank account. I didn't really even plan on going all out at first but, since I have received a "recent" (about 4 months ago) promotion. I now make quite a bit of money per month. More so than I really know what to do with. I'm 1 year away from completely paying off my house so my bills are about to drop considerably. I figured, "Why not?" I'm comfortable enough to drop this. Any switcharoos for the better of the system (without removals) I'll take into consideration. But, I /am/ overkilling it.

Should also be noted I don't only use my computer for gaming. I also do freelance animation and high-ish end video editing. Not to mention I dabble in game development as well.

The mass amount of storage space is also very warranted as I currently have (3) 2TB external HDD maxed out. That's not including the 2TB HDD internal i have that is near max. Nothing I could ever get rid of is on these drives.

Let's do this: If /YOU/ could spend upwards of $6,000 USD on a computer, what would you pick?

I'm with Vordar, Non of us are here to knock your build. At the end of the day it's your money. I just think you're literally pissing away a lot of it for no good reason at all. If you made this build over a year ago, with minor adjustments, I think you might want to go through and do a little more research on current prices etc.

1. $900 for a standard 4k 60hz monitor is insane. Have you looked around at other 4k monitors? Is there a reason these 2 are the ones you selected?

2. I don't really care that you're going for 10GB of storage, I'm just curious as to why you're getting a 2TB SSD thats costing you almost $700. What are you needing all this storage for? Why do you need such a huge SSD?

I'm not going to pick apart your whole build, I just want to give you an idea of the kind of money you're wasting. I'm sure you work hard for it. Between the Monitors and SSD, you're doubling the cost of your build.

Didn't even see this before I posted just a minute ago.

1) My roommate has these monitors and they look beautiful. The prices listed on PCPP aren't the prices I will be paying. That's my outline build. I'm not buying from those selected retailers. I found them for much cheaper elsewhere.

2) The 2TB SSD was just a crazy buy. I didn't want to overload with drives so I opted for a singular one I can dump every game I own on there.

There's a bit of reason behind some of the stuff and more so not a reason behind a lot of it. Just that I wanted to do it because I know that I'd be comfortable spending that. By the time the parts come in. I'll have almost half of what I spent back in savings. I've never been one to be extremely good with money but, I figure if I'm going to spend it I might as well spend it on something that I can show for it instead of just blowing it all on minute things that don't stick around. I already have a brand new car. House is about to be 100% in my name. All my needs are met. I have no girlfriend/wife. No children. So, why not go a little crazy? If these things change I may not have the opportunity to do this again. Live life to it's fullest. In my eyes, this is about as full as I can make it lol

Well, I'll be happy to toss a build together just to give you MY opinion on a build with your budget/needs. Even though Intels Extreme line of CPUSs are fucking boss, I just cant see dumping $1000+ on just a CPU if you're not doing professional kind of shit where over time it will pay for itself , but since you have that fuck you $$, it probably doesn't matter. So I'm going to build you a X99 setup with a 6-8 core CPU. If you have the $$ and the need for an extreme CPU then go for it. I do believe you will benefit from a X99 build period v a Z170. You will benefit from the additional cores. Give me a few to mess around on partpicker and I'll post the results. I am a Corsair/EVGA fanboy so that will be noticeable in the build. I'll toss in a few 1080s, but If I was in your shoes, I would pick up a single 1070/1080 AT MAX for now and go ham on SLI 1080TIs, or even save more $$$ and get a 970/980 to hold you over. That however is completely up to you, again just my 2 cents.

Given how you have defined what you are doing with your dream build besides gaming, a thought had occurred to me. Rather than just the 2 1080 gpus, have you considered the Titan X? Normally I wouldn't myself as I would need more justification to spend 1K plus on a graphics card, but I could see this as something up your alley if you're doing more. Plus given how SLi is tech I wouldn't really bank on (the iffy driver support for games and the less than stellar performance increases for the cost) a Titan would seem to fit the bill for you.

Just a bit of info regarding the Titan X.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/07/gtx-titan-x-pascal-specs-price-release-date/

And regarding the build @Chocolate_Ch3rry created you do get an advantage of cores and also an increase on the upper limit of ram you can use (64 or 128GB depending on the motherboard) but in reality I don't know of anyone who really needs that much RAM. The quad channel setup does offer a bit more in performance. Outside of those two options, I can't really fathom spending a lot for a 2011-E setup, but that's me.

One thing I can't understand is why there is a missing M.2 SSD from that build:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7467&cm_re=SAMSUNG_950-_-20-147-467-_-Product

Granted that is the upper limit right now at 512GB, but with the Reed speed at 2200MBps and a write speed of 1500MBps I would want that as my main OS drive, then get some bigger Sata III SSDs for additional storage for games and what not. The HDD I would either defer to a NAS storage array where you can set it up to be redundant for data integrity, as well as be centrally accessible from other devices, but that's me.

I know it's a lot of info being thrown at you from all of us, but we want to make sure you're getting what paid for.

Back