NASA - Scientist finds possible proof of alien life

Soulzz

Founder
Retired Founder
Source: NASA scientist finds evidence of alien life - Yahoo! News

Aliens exist, and we have proof.
That astonishingly awesome claim comes from Dr. Richard B. Hoover, an astrobiologist at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center, who says he has found conclusive evidence of alien life — fossils of bacteria found in an extremely rare class of meteorite called CI1 carbonaceous chondrites. (There are only nine such meteorites on planet Earth.) Hoover’s findings were published late Friday night in the Journal of Cosmology, a peer-reviewed scientific journal.
“I interpret it as indicating that life is more broadly distributed than restricted strictly to the planet earth,” Hoover, who has spent more than 10 years studying meteorites around the world, told FoxNews.com in an interview. “This field of study has just barely been touched — because quite frankly, a great many scientist would say that this is impossible.”
Hoover discovered the fossils by breaking apart the CI1 meteorite, and analyzing the exposed rock with a scanning-electron microscope and a field emission electron-scanning microscope, which allowed him to detect any fossil remains. What he found were fossils of micro-organisms, many of which he says are strikingly similar to those found on our own planet.
“The exciting thing is that they are in many cases recognizable and can be associated very closely with the generic species here on earth,” said Hoover. Some of the fossils, however, are quite odd. “There are some that are just very strange and don’t look like anything that I’ve been able to identify, and I’ve shown them to many other experts that have also come up stump.”
In order to satisfy the inevitable hoard of buzz-killing skeptics, Hoover’s study and evidence were made available to his peers in the scientific community in advance of the study’s publications, giving them a chance to thoroughly dissect his findings. Comments from those who decided to sift through the evidence will be published online, alongside the study.
“Given the controversial nature of his discovery, we have invited 100 experts and have issued a general invitation to over 5,000 scientists from the scientific community to review the paper and to offer their critical analysis,” writes Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics scientist Dr. Rudy Schild, who serves as the Journal of Cosmology’s editor-in-chief. “No other paper in the history of science has undergone such a thorough vetting, and never before in the history of science has the scientific community been given the opportunity to critically analyze an important research paper before it is published.”
Needless to say, if Hoover’s conclusions are found to be accurate, the implications for human life will be staggering. Here’s to hoping that he’s right.

Well as long as they can't drive space ships to bring doom to our planet, im ok then.

I saw this story yesterday. I didn't bother posting it because it was too nerdy.

Aliens indeed! Give me a break, if we are serious about space exploration and expanding our understanding of the universe ,then stop wasting time, money and resources on this crap and start focusing more on the physics and engineering required to develop the technology and systems that can get us from point A to B and beyond much faster and safer than we currently can otherwise threes no point to any of this. Hell we can't even get our sorry asses back to the moon let alone Mars and beyond but we still waste resources searching for anything we can remotely classify as alien life intelligent or not.

Aliens indeed! Give me a break, if we are serious about space exploration and expanding our understanding of the universe ,then stop wasting time, money and resources on this crap and start focusing more on the physics and engineering required to develop the technology and systems that can get us from point A to B and beyond much faster and safer than we currently can otherwise threes no point to any of this. Hell we can't even get our sorry asses back to the moon let alone Mars and beyond but we still waste resources searching for anything we can remotely classify as alien life intelligent or not.

Well shoot a "thank you" letter over to our commander in chief for shit canning NASA. Apparently he thinks government handouts and entitlement checks are a more progressive alternative to the advancement humanity than space technology development. If we invested the time and effort required for development of our fussion/fission propulsion technology, (which we are very close to breaking through btw's) we could tell OPEC to take a fucking hike, they could go back to riding camels and we could have the equivalent energy of the sun powering our entire nation.

If we developed our tritium-3 technology (an element that is rarely found on earth but in gratuitous amounts on the moon) we would have another reason to travel back to the moon for a large scale mining operation, talk about jobs, there would be no shortage of logistical support jobs, a new chapter in history? Yes I would say so.

hopefully in my lifetime, but Im just a quack who flys helicopters I don't anything.

Well shoot a "thank you" letter over to our commander in chief for shit canning NASA. Apparently he thinks government handouts and entitlement checks are a more progressive alternative to the advancement humanity than space technology development. If we invested the time and effort required for development of our fussion/fission propulsion technology, (which we are very close to breaking through btw's) we could tell OPEC to take a fucking hike, they could go back to riding camels and we could have the equivalent energy of the sun powering our entire nation.

If we developed our tritium-3 technology (an element that is rarely found on earth but in gratuitous amounts on the moon) we would have another reason to travel back to the moon for a large scale mining operation, talk about jobs, there would be no shortage of logistical support jobs, a new chapter in history? Yes I would say so.

hopefully in my lifetime, but Im just a quack who flys helicopters I don't anything.

Don't even get me started when it comes to what's happening with NASA. I can't believe that when the Shuttle program ends for the first time since 1962 when Friendship 7 carried John Glenn in to space the United States won't have a way to carry our astronauts in to space and will have to rely on either the European Space program or the Soviets to do that for us. I agree with everything you said and I want to add that if we invested 1`/4 of the resources & effort in the space program today as we did in the late 50's & 60's we would already have a base on the moon and dare I venture to say, we would probably be half way to landing the first humans on Mars by now instead of pussyfooting around looking for ET.

*Even know Alan Shepard flew first in 1961 aboard Freedom 7as part of Project Mercury that was a suborbital flight as where John Glenn actually achieved orbit in space.

Sounds fun, what types of helicopters do you fly?

you didn't know i was an alien. Well i was abducted, graped, probed, and turned secretly into one of them :)

a hell of a lot of scientific progress could be made if we all stopped spending so much money on killing each other, and fed the hungry, studies have proven that when given the change, people want to help and improve humanity, but when you don't know if your next meal will come in a day or a week, you kinda put your priorities on food.
seriously, space exploration is the least of our worries right now.
also, if you want to go colonize a planet, finding one with life is kind of an important thing.....

but hey, i'm just a canadian, so don't listen to me

a hell of a lot of scientific progress could be made if we all stopped spending so much money on killing each other, and fed the hungry, studies have proven that when given the change, people want to help and improve humanity, but when you don't know if your next meal will come in a day or a week, you kinda put your priorities on food.
seriously, space exploration is the least of our worries right now.
also, if you want to go colonize a planet, finding one with life is kind of an important thing.....

but hey, i'm just a canadian, so don't listen to me

I've already aided two people in TBG. I do agree with you, that most homeless people, if given a proper chance and education, would not be living in the slums.

However, Pilot, innovation is never a bad thing. :).

typically the greater the pool of resources, the greater the occurances of true innovation, increase the pool by increasing the education, increase the education by feeding the hungry (starved brains don't work too well).

and no, innovation is never a bad thing, on the whole

typically the greater the pool of resources, the greater the occurances of true innovation, increase the pool by increasing the education, increase the education by feeding the hungry (starved brains don't work too well).

and no, innovation is never a bad thing, on the whole

I am confident that if everyone was given a chance, with the proper education, they would want to be successful. That's the thing though. We live in a corrupt, imperfect world.

What I am saying is that many of the rich people in the world worked hard for their money. There are very few exceptions that just got lucky and become filthy rich.

Anyways, yes, it is nice to give to the poor, but you have to be realistic about it. I would rather give 100k to help students than to help welfare mongers on the streets of LA.

Don't complain about advances in different areas. Not everyone is an engineer or a physicist working on major breakthroughs. To have this specifically being reviewed and possibly published won't get us to new distances, but it's a stumble in the right direction. Regardless, I agree that NASA's budget cuts are a disgrace. The problem with social policy is it's quite useless in advancing the nation. Yes, feeding more people is beneficial. Yes, trying to give everyone an equal chance at education is beneficial. However, at least for education, we'd probably be better off if a system to identify and provide higher education to truly gifted students was available (in addition to actually firing teachers who can't teach)...

There are a lot of terrible teachers. Lots of work to do :).

Don't complain about advances in different areas. Not everyone is an engineer or a physicist working on major breakthroughs. To have this specifically being reviewed and possibly published won't get us to new distances, but it's a stumble in the right direction. Regardless, I agree that NASA's budget cuts are a disgrace. The problem with social policy is it's quite useless in advancing the nation. Yes, feeding more people is beneficial. Yes, trying to give everyone an equal chance at education is beneficial. However, at least for education, we'd probably be better off if a system to identify and provide higher education to truly gifted students was available (in addition to actually firing teachers who can't teach)...

Don't get me wrong Bob, I am not against advances in different areas and I can appreciate their importance to the bigger picture. What bothers me social policy aside, is that due to the budget cuts that NASA has suffered they and others in the industry have been relegated to sending unmanned probes to chase after any hint of extraterrestrial life intelligent or not when we as a nation should be leading the way and establishing our country's dominance in manned space exploration by venturing out in to the "Final Frontier" ourselves.

Just for the sake of argument, let's say we discover something of substantial value to mankind or we just happen to find that elusive extraterrestrial life. What are we going to do without a means to get there? Maybe we can ask ET for a lift or better yet if we ask nice maybe they will let us borrow a spaceship? Why not after the shuttle program is done our astronauts will be hitching rides with the Soviets or the EU Space Agency. :(

Hunger and space exploration are 2 different things. My Grandfather retired from NASA and spent his summers telling me about the space program when I was a kid in Huntsville, ALA. It was a wonderous time and It lifted my whole thought process being around him and listening to the stories about the first space shuttle ( He was an engineer on the original Space shuttle). I remember spending weeks running around the Space and rocket center as a kid while he was working.
I have been in the original landing craft for the moon landing. Had many things that I have seen and enjoyed I think If we abandon our space program we as a country are headed down the wrong road.

How bout we stop being the worlds police and then maybe we wont have to sacrifice all our Extra programs and suffer the losses of great men and women just to satiate our need for controlling oil prices.

We should never abandon something as great as Space exploration. We have many issues in this world and of course world hunger is among them...
Though I see no reason to tie hunger to a space program. Its just does not go hand in hand.
If we have no space program it does not solve world hunger does it?

Anyways I for one will never let go of that dream - That one day I may actually have the chance to go into space. Maybe when I die I will have my body / ashes launched into space.

Followup thoughts on the meteorite fossils claim | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine

In an unusual step Monday, Paul Hertz, chief scientist of NASA’s science mission directorate, issued a statement saying, among other things, that “NASA cannot stand behind or support a scientific claim unless it has been peer-reviewed or thoroughly examined by other qualified experts… NASA was unaware of the recent submission of the paper to the Journal of Cosmology or of the paper’s subsequent publication.”

Alien life: Alien life in meteorites? Scientists say claim is bogus - latimes.com

Followup thoughts on the meteorite fossils claim | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine

In an unusual step Monday, Paul Hertz, chief scientist of NASA’s science mission directorate, issued a statement saying, among other things, that “NASA cannot stand behind or support a scientific claim unless it has been peer-reviewed or thoroughly examined by other qualified experts… NASA was unaware of the recent submission of the paper to the Journal of Cosmology or of the paper’s subsequent publication.”

Alien life: Alien life in meteorites? Scientists say claim is bogus - latimes.com

Sounds like NASA has a renegade on their hands. :)

Back